Friday, April 8, 2011

A Journey of a Thousand Miles Starts With a Single Step

Did I mention I know nothing about running a business? The closest I've come was working as a desk clerk in Howard Johnsons in my very early adulthood. Not exactly an MBA. O.K., no problem. I've got 4-6 weeks to learn everything I need to know to open the shop in early May. Yikes. I don't even know what I don't know. Thank goodness for friends. Just mention you need something and they come through in all kinds of wonderful ways. That's how I found out about S.C.O.R.E, a  national nonprofit organization of retired business people who volunteer their help to small business owners. Their website is http://www.score.org/  and they have downloadable information as well as free seminars and counseling. The marketing seminar I attended 2 weeks ago was very helpful and one of the attendees had recently started a graphic arts business, so now I have someone to design my logo and business cards. Double bonus. I've also made an appointment with a counselor to discuss a business plan. More on that in a future post. Other sources of business education I came across that are low cost or no cost were community colleges, the online program http://www.ed2go.com/  and chambers of commerce.

After committing to this whole idea of starting a business, the first dilemna that came into focus on my radar screen was WHERE?  Finding the right space is huge. Not only in terms of pedestrian traffic but location in a community where your idea will be understood and supported.  It is also important to consider your personal work flow needs within the space. With these thoughts in mind, I measured, consulted demographics, and quietly observed.  I spent some time on the streets with the people who lived there and got a feel for the businesses that were thriving and why they were popular. I tried to picture myself as both customer and owner of my business and what I would want as each one. This slowcooking mental stew ultimately condensed into 102 Hillsboro Street, Pittsboro, North Carolina 27312 and I think it's going to be perfect! (After it's cleaned, the plaster is patched, it's painted, and something's done about the floors.)

1 comment: